Pumped with attitude, knowledge and sometimes arrogance we all have our share of moments which make us say ‘WTF’. There are numerous ways to deal with such moments but at the end of the day it all comes down to YOU.
I won’t say I handled such moments pretty well but having said that there is no perfect way of handling such moments.
Ironically my ways have changed drastically over the last couple of years which goes slightly against my personality but still it’s better than the way I used before. It took me actually quite some time to realize that my previous way wasn’t working. OK, I may have avoided seeing things as they were. But I got around to it.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt
— Abraham Lincoln
2 years back I hated this quote. Back then I seriously thought If I guy/gal is STUPID and he/she doesn’t know what he/she is talking about someone for the sake of sense should get them to ground and them realize how stupid they sound. I was so ignorant…
The world is full of stupid people and the web is full of trolls. But I never had a problem with that it’s kind of expected from an idiot to be one. But the ones who weren’t and still made no sense pissed me off, so I was all guns against them. But it was nothing but a waste of my time.
But I still face similar situations but now my way out of it is by saying “WTF” as passively in your mind as you can and say ‘Yeah, Here’s another one’
- When someone who makes his living by copy pasting codes in an IT consulting company and talks about Blowfish (Cipher) and AES. I go like WTF is he talking.
- When I see guys who just started to watch football arguing about ‘Who’s the best player ever?’ The most of the answers being the guy who scored last night, I go WTF !!!
- When I see Asians talk about Glory Hunting and accuse a fellow Asian of the same. That’s not even WTF it’s LAME.
- When I see people making STUPID groups on social networking sites with some national interest showing the virtual world how patriotic they are. Way to go National Hero 😛
- When a guy who just download movies and just sees them talk about Encoding and scripts.
- When someone buys the latest gadget and claims to be a gadget freak.
- When a Arts or a Commerce fellow laughs at every scientific joke cracked on the big bang theory without knowing shit about it.
- When someone thinks of him as a Coder after getting 70+ in C++ and Java at UG level.
- When a bunch of uneducated nobodies gather around a Soda shop and talk about International policies and Inflation.
Last thing that makes me go WTF is
10. When someone thinks I’M STUPID when I’m silent in an argument. LOL
But it’s a fact that I tend to see the other side of this too.
Considering the fact that I have a recorded IQ of 124 I kind of expect myself to see the other side of the coin.
I have always believed in one thing that ‘There is always someone better than you’. And it may not only be in the things you not that good at it may even be with the things you very good at.
I had the pleasure of meeting/talking to many people who are way better than me in many respect whether its knowledge, interest, passion, wit, sarcasm or even philosophy. It can be a possibility that even they would have had their WTF moments when they were dealing with me.
None of us are lucky enough to know everything. Everyone who I claimed to be STUPID earlier in my post maybe way better than me in some other respects. My WTF moments are pretty much relative and are generated in my comfort zone. There are a few things I’m good at and I would know when someone makes sense or not when it comes to those things. It may be the same for others hence I said everyone one had a share of moments.
Maybe reading this post would be a WTF moment for you. But to be honest when I think about this post I seriously go
See, There goes my WTF moment!!!!!
– Ravi Sadrani